Sunday, January 27, 2008

-- a great idea: what letter would you write to your younger self?


This is fantastic. Kyle Cassidy, author of Armed America and famous photographer says on his blog, "if i could, there are some things i'd like to put in a time machine and send back to myself when i was 16 years old and miserable with a note that says 'high school isn't going to last forever -- everything's going to be all right ... seriously'"

Then he asks "what message would you write back through time to your 16 year old self if you could?"

Some of my favorite responses:

"...stay away from Trish and all other bi-polar people. They are using you to make themselves feel better."

"...OH yeah!!! And that guy Matt, the one you tried to hit with your car cause he was dating your best friend and hitting on you....YOU'RE GOING TO MARRY HIM!!!! Yup, as unbelievable as it is it's true!!!"

"Message to younger self: It gets better. And I guarantee you will not be doing with your life what you think you will, so loosen up and don't stress so much about it..."

"There are so many awesome, amazing, and talented people in the world, and yes, my dear, they WILL talk to you, and you'll even become close friends with some of them, and you know what--eventually you will BE one of them."

"Dear self: Life is going to suck for a while. I'm not going to bother telling you anything about it, because it's awesome now and don't you f that up for me by changing anything."

"Self- I hate to say it, but it's going to get worse before it gets better. A lot worse. But you're going to find that you're an incredibly strong girl. And one day you will find yourself truly, deeply happy, with several scars. Oh, and stop eating moon pies... like NOW. I love you (and I'm not the only one), Older, wiser self."

"...Everything you think you know about yourself is going to turn out to be wrong, and you won't learn that for a bit, but that's okay because you're going to like yourself a whole lot better when you finally learn who you are."

"...Everything isn't so freaking important. And it's okay if you don't know what you want to be when you grow up. Sometimes these things happen gradually...."

"I would probably send a really big, loving hug back to my 16-year-old self. I was a miserable little tick."

Read the rest on Kyle's site -->
(you'll have to scroll down to see the comments)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is really a great idea. I could totally get into this. Thanks for posting it Holly! You're getting my juices flowing.

Recent Posts