Thursday, January 31, 2008

-- quotes on aging

Since aging is something all of us do whether we like it or not, I want to put it in perspective. My favorite quotes:

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." ~Mark Twain.

"Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul.... You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair." ~Douglas MacArthur, 1955.

"A person is not old until regrets take the place of hopes and plans." ~Scott Nearing.

"Old age is far more than white hair, wrinkles, the feeling that it is too late and the game finished, that the stage belongs to the rising generations. The true evil is not the weakening of the body, but the indifference of the soul." ~Andre Maurois, 1940.

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been." ~Mark Twain, 1897.

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." ~Author Unknown

"A man's age is something impressive, it sums up his life: maturity reached slowly and against many obstacles, illnesses cured, griefs and despairs overcome, and unconscious risks taken; maturity formed through so many desires, hopes, regrets, forgotten things, loves. A man's age represents a fine cargo of experiences and memories." ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?" ~Satchel Paige

"The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible." ~Judith Regan

"There's no such thing as too late. That's why they invented death." ~From the movie Out to Sea

"Everything slows down with age, except the time it takes cake and ice cream to reach your hips." ~John Wagner

"They say that age is all in your mind. The trick is keeping it from creeping down into your body." ~Author Unknown

"Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese." ~Billie Burke

"The other day a man asked me what I thought was the best time of life. "Why," I answered without a thought, "now." " ~David Grayson

"The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been." ~Madeleine L'Engle

"I'm not 40, I'm eighteen with 22 years experience." ~Author Unknown


"In the central place of every heart there is a recording chamber. So long as it receives a message of beauty, hope, cheer, and courage - so long are you young. When the wires are all down and our heart is covered with the snow of pessimism and the ice of cynicism, then, and only then, are you grown old."
~Douglas MacArthur

"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty." ~Henry Ford


"Sometimes age succeeds, sometimes it fails. It depends on you."
~Ravensara Noite


"You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old."
~George Burns

"You can't turn back the clock. But you can wind it up again." ~Bonnie Prudden

"The answer to old age is to keep one's mind busy and to go on with one's life as if it were interminable. I always admired Chekhov for building a new house when he was dying of tuberculosis." ~Leon Edel

"I'm at the age where food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact, I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table." ~ Rodney Dangerfield

”Like many women my age, I am 28 years old.” ~Mary Schmich

"When I was a boy the Dead Sea was only sick." ~George Burns

"I don't feel old. I don't feel anything till noon. That's when it's time for my nap." ~Bob Hope

"At my age I do what Mark Twain did. I get my daily paper, look at the obituaries page and if I'm not there I carry on as usual." ~Patrick Moore quotes

Rock on!

No comments:

Recent Posts