Monday, February 25, 2008

-- back from Death Valley

I'm finally back from Death Valley. The whole trip was incredible. Neat that I learned how to blog from my phone, though I couldn't figure out how to capitalize or use punctuation very well.

Song that's been in my head the whole trip: Incubus, Wish you were here

I dig my toes into the sand.
The ocean looks like a thousand diamonds strewn across a blue blanket.
I lean against the wind, pretend that i am weightless
and in this moment I am happy.


I grew up near the ocean and always felt like it was a part of me. My past week in California reminded me of what it felt like to take long bike rides by the shore, just to be off meandering around, taking in the world slowly. I need more of a sense of getting lost in life, losing myself. It didn't hit me that I was home until I started unpacking yesterday, I had this sense of loss that I wouldn't be gazing at the beautiful mountains, my trip is over.


Today was good but there's much to catch up on. I am distraught because I just realized I left an addictive novel at work, what am I to do? I started reading Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore and wow, talk about getting lost. The entire story is like one big endless dream, it's incredible. Haruki writes in the style of magical realism which might turn me off if I only heard that as a description because I don't believe in the unexplainable but the story is so compelling I couldn't put it down. I ended up staying up until 2am and was a mess when the clock went off at 7 this morning. At least I'll probably get to bed earlier tonight.


Here are some teaser pix of Death Valley. Keep in mind that the weather wasn't all that great (we had rain in the desert, remember?) Will post more when they're ready.



Flowers south of Furnace Creek

Artist's palette, looking backwards instead of forwards from the lookout.

Me in Ash Meadows, Mojave Desert, CA.

No comments:

Recent Posts