Monday, March 24, 2008

-- I swear it looked like worms were in my food.

So I'm cooking this premade mix of hot & sour soup, feeling an unjustified sense of accomplishment at finally making something that's been sitting in the cabinet for a year, when I notice a jumble of weirdly elongated shapes undulating strangely in the furiously boiling water. It was not unlike piles of worms I've seen in freshwater streams, moving creepily in the current. I realized the water was causing movement but I've seen worms in old cake mixes before (a VERY disappointing find, I might add) and just couldn't be sure.

There's only one way to find out. I had to see if it had segments. It took a good 5 minutes and several different samples before I was able to confirm on my flat wooden spoon that no, there was not a pile of worms in my soup. They were just shredded mushrooms. (Active shredded mushrooms that are just the right size and shape of roundworms, but no signs of actual worm anatomy. Whew.)

But tell me this does not look like worms!

1 comment:

Niffer said...

Gross! I'm not sure I would have had the gutts to investigate further!

Recent Posts