Friday, March 7, 2008

-- recurring dream but different outcome


For years now I've had this recurring dream where I'll be driving and suddenly approach an impossible situation -- the road turns into an upside-down loop, like a roller coaster, but somehow this is completely normal. The laws of physics don't apply, somehow the road is packed with other people calmly circling in arcs. I'd get closer and closer and start freaking out until eventually I'd wake up in a cold sweat, absolutely terrified. (It would look just like this picture too, except it would be an asphalt road.)

Once I was awake, I'd realize it was just a dream and fall back asleep pretty quickly. Still, I'd be puzzled because in real life, I'm a roller coaster fiend and I've never had a problem with driving.

But last night something different happened. I started approaching the loop. It was in a parking garage (as opposed to a highway like the last several times) and so everyone was inching slowly upward. And then it happened -- I went over it.

I had the sensation of the world going upside down, could see it beneath me, and then made it over.

I woke up immediately afterwards and thought, wow, that's the first time I ever actually scaled one of those things.

I'm guessing that in dreams (or at least mine) a car can symbolize control. Maybe the loops symbolize something in life I'm scared of "scaling" or doing, thinking I can't do it even if everyone else can. Maybe going slow is significant because I finally get it, that I can do it (whatever "it" is) if I take it easy on myself or go at an slow & steady pace.

Also missing from the dream was the usual fear. It was really bizarre.

1 comment:

TONY a.k.a. i sWEAT bUTTER said...

that's why i'm so glad i don't remember my dreams most of the time. when i do, they really freak me out and sometimes come true... last time i had my randomly recurring dream of my teeth falling out, (which apparently means i'm going to die according to most dream dictionary's) i busted a tooth on a coffee cup... not cool.

Recent Posts