Wednesday, March 19, 2008

-- terrible morning... bird hit by car (& nonprofit orgs to donate)


oh no. I am shaking inside. On my way to work this morning, I saw a bird get hit by a car and there was no way I could stop and help it. A beautiful black-capped chickadee fluttering and struggling mightily to fly out of the road but its wing was damaged. Right about when I saw it happen, as I was desperately trying to figure out where I could pull over (no shoulder, busy roadway, right on an exit ramp), I saw in my rearview mirror the cars behind -- they likely rolled over it. I couldn't watch. I just sat there, fist against my mouth, feeling so awful and helpless, my heart aching. I've run out in traffic before to save birds, some of whom died in my hands as I cried, but at least I tried. Not even having the chance to even try is just killing me.

To make myself feel better, I am going to make a donation to a bird organization this morning on the little chickadee's behalf.

American Bird Conservancy
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
National Audubon Society
The Songbird Foundation

1 comment:

Niffer said...

First off, let me say that I had no idea you were keeping up a blog! I'm looking forward to reading!

Second, let me say that I totally understand your heartache here! One of my worst moments was when I just learned how to drive, I would slow down for the birds on the road, and over and over again my mom would tell me that they will move and that it wasn't necessary to slow down for them. So... one day I finally decided to believe her, and did nothing, thinking the whole time "the birds will move, the birds will move." One bird did not move. I'm not sure I've ever really forgiven my mom for that one! =)

Finally, let me just say that the fact that you made a donation solely because you saw a bird accidentally get hit... WOW! Why didn't we hang out more before I moved back to CO??

Recent Posts