Wednesday, May 7, 2008

-- and the kitten is named.

The kitten has finally been named: Sita. We were toying with this since we found her right after we'd been to Sita Tile in Capitol Heights, MD. Naming her "Home Depot" just wasn't feminine enough for me, but Sita sounds nice.

Just to be sure we looked it up. Sita is also a Hindu goddess of fertility. The word literally means "furrow."
From the Wikipedia: The word "furrow" was a poetic term in ancient India, its imagery redolent of fecundity and the many blessings coming from settled agriculture. The Sita of the Ramayana may have been named after a more ancient Vedic goddess Sita, who is mentioned once in the Rigveda as an earth goddess who blesses the land with good crops. In Vedic period, she was one of the goddesses associated with fertility.

I'm still missing my keet. I have this awful ache inside whenever I think about how cute he was when splashing around the sink, how a hundred times I wanted to videotape it and never got around to it. Death is so damned permanent. sigh

1 comment:

Niffer said...

I think Sita came into your life at the perfect time! I know it's tough to say good bye to a good friend, but I think you need a young soul around right now. It's so fun to watch kittens play. It's one of those things that *has* to make you smile.

Recent Posts