Tuesday, May 13, 2008

-- exhausting the dog isn't easy

Tonight I tried a new tactic for the dog-kitten situation. It was called "exhaust the dog" and involved a 1-mile sprint for the dog (me on my bike with the dog attached via a special metal pole) at about 10mph.

I was full of hope that afterwards he'd flop down, spent and look placidly upon the kitten, too tired to get up. But who am I kidding? This is a sled dog mixed with a cattle dog, both breeds that are genetically specialized to run from dawn to dusk without tiring. One measly mile is nothing.

We got home and the dog immediately launched into slime-the-kitten mode, snout turning into a wet roll-on deoderant ball as he nosed her like a shark bumping its prey until the kitten was covered with dog snot and saliva. "I don't like my kittens slimy!" Dan said, restraining Tycho.

At least the dog has learned he's not allowed to eat the kitten and we no longer have to have him in a constant headlock. Progress is slow, but I'll take what I can get.

No comments:

Recent Posts