Sunday, May 11, 2008

-- ripping up the hideous floor

So today Dan's friend Mike came over to help us rip up our floor, in the final ceremony of regret over buying Durastone.
After the last floor-chipping activity from hell, we decided to splurge and buy a pneumatic tool and it made a world of difference.
15 second videos of ripping up tile:
The only problem is the cleanup - everything sticks to the now-exposed glue, including tile crumbs and kitten feet. It's impossible to walk on. Talk about being mired in molasses! The devil is always shown with a pitchfork but I think in my own personal hell I would have a floor scraper.It feels awesome to destroy a floor I've hated at first sight!

I ended up laying a path of rags so we could pass through the house. The fridge is now in the living room too. The white trash look goes ultra modern.As if all of that wasn't bad enough, Dan went outside to haul 400 lbs of trash tile to the curb and discovered that, because we are in the midst of a nor'easter right this second, and our gutters are clogged, the gutters were about to rip off the house. Honestly. They wouldn't have lasted through the night! So at almost 11pm he was out there cleaning the gutters with a toilet auger:Let's just say this hasn't been a restful weekend!

2 comments:

Slave to the dogs said...

This Durastone business sounds horrid! Good choice with tile in the kitchen, though I did have a decent experience with Pergo in our last house. We're actually getting our bathroom tiled but a friend/contractor is doing all the heavy lifting.

Dan said...

I can't tell you how much joy it brings me to see that tile getting destroyed; I keep watching the video!

Recent Posts