Sunday, January 18, 2009

-- chicken soup shortcut and other mundane Sunday stuff

So Dan's been sick. We were foodshopping when he started to go downhill again fast so when we got home, I made some of the fastest chicken soup ever. Here was my secret to getting a pot ready in 1/2 hour:
  • chicken broth
  • lime juice
  • cilantro cubes I had in freezer
  • sauteed thinly-sliced onions in garlic, olive oil and white wine
  • dried mushrooms
  • frozen spinach
  • carrots, steamed in microwave and sliced into soup (normally they take forever to soften)
  • frozen chicken meat (from the last time we had a ready-made chicken)
  • rice
  • salt & pepper
Boil all up and season broth to taste. The lime juice adds a nice touch, I like my broth flavorful and tangy.

Then we watched Dumb and Dumber (a movie I originally avoided because it sounded so stupid until multiple friends vouched for its hilarity). They were right, I recommend it as a fun watch.

Believe it or not, one of my 2009 goals is to... get this... watch movies! Catch up on flicks that everyone knows about but me. I almost never watch TV or have time to get to the cinema so I joined Netflix. (Somehow this is an easier resolution than dropping 10 lbs....)

4 comments:

tony a.k.a. isweatbutter said...

may i make a suggestion regarding dum & dumber?

try watching it in german. somewhere in the menu is the option to change languages. i have never laughed as hard in my life, even though i don't speak german. it's kind of fun just to imagine the story as the movie goes on. i especially suggest the limousine scene. serious LOL.

hautepocket said...

Now, watching more movies is definitely a resolution I could totally get behind.

kevin forgot said...

netflix, awesome. send me the link to be your netflix friend, or just click mine on my site. you don't need to lose 10 pounds.

kimmers said...

I completely understand. For someone who already watches FAR too many movies, I think I may be the only person alive who has never seen Schindler's List.

Recent Posts