Sunday, February 8, 2009

-- (photos) of dogs and gulls

I've been wanting to learn more about photography, taking pictures like mad ever since I got a small digital point & shoot for my birthday. So today Dan offered to take me to the dog park for an intro lesson using his old Nikon D70, an "SLR" camera which I've learned means "Single Lens Reflex," meaning you can switch lenses. (I may update this definition when my photography guru friends read my simplified understanding and elaborate.)
Dan, prepared with water, dog toys and
camera equipment: all the necessities.

And the dog's airborne!

He still has the energy of a pup
despite being 5 years old.

Posing in the sun.

Maybe the only thing I really hate about dogs...

Seagulls standing on a thin patch of ice.

Gulls taking flight.

And the moon tonight; large and beautiful, still low
in the sky. I took this from a supermarket parking
lot, aiming the lens above the urban landscape.

12 comments:

k2nmste said...

Some really good photos, Hol. If Dan can get you this good in one intro lesson, is he willing to add another student? I love photography, but need to improve a lot.... :>

melissa said...

awesome photos, my friend!!
that d70 is a treasure, too. those nikon slrs are phenomenal. happy photographing!

kevin forgot said...

wow, what a difference!

Niffer said...

Fantastic pictures. Dan is so good at taking pictures, that I'm sure his talent has to rub off on you. I wish I was better at taking pictures myself.

Shera said...

Good job! Would you and Dan kindly make your lessons/tips public? I was just poring over the photography section at the bookstore yesterday! I may enroll in a summer course...Keep it up, you guys are always see to be heading off to interesting places!

hautepocket said...

Your dog is gorgeous! (The photos aren't half bad either-well done for your first lesson, I'd say!)

Michael Berman said...

I like the light in the flying gulls picture a lot.

bodelou said...

ew i HATE dog drool. its gross and i am glad my little hotdog doesn't do it!

hebba said...

great pics. I love visiting your blog...it makes me feel calm.

aisha said...

beautiful pictures there! i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who's caught the photo bug! :)

spleeness said...

aw! I'm welling up at all the awesome comments. I actually make some (one) of you feel calm? Wow, one of the nicest things I've ever heard. Y'all are the best.

K2nmste & Shera (and anyone else), photo lessons anytime you want! Dan's very patient.

AndreaLeigh said...

beautiful pics!!

Recent Posts