Saturday, August 29, 2009

contest: submit your story about love (good or bad)

I interrupt regular programming this week to announce a call for stories about love.

Good love, bad love, first love, hearts-ripped-out-of-chests love, hateful love, love lessons, The One, The One That Got Away, betrayal, soul mates, whatever. It just has to be good. Moving, raw, honest, aching, dreamy... whatever tells your story.

My colleagues and I are building an anthology and we're looking for new authors. It can be a blog post you've already written or something you're composing in your head. You can also be anonymous if you'd like. Or not.
  • Prize: $100 (That's half an iPhone!!)
  • Deadline: October 31, 2009. (Isn't Halloween a fitting deadline? Better than Valentine's Day....)
  • Spread the word: spleeness@yahoo.com
Authors will be notified by November 30, 2009 if they've won. A panel of judges will make the decision.

Desired format:
  • Email your entry with the subject line "LOVE story submission" or something along those lines so I can tell you're not selling me "bigger stick" pills for my manhood.

  • You can submit more than one entry, but only one entry per author can win.

  • Must be a true story, not fiction. We're looking for first-person memoir type accounts. Diary entries. Soul rendering on paper. TMI, no holds barred raw emotions.

  • The story can be in the text of the email, or an attached PDF or Word document (not .docx).

  • Please include your contact info so we can notify you if you've won.We will respond to let you know we've received your submission, and then again by the first week of December to let you know if you've won or not. If you have won, we will also keep you updated on publishing information.

  • Let us know if you would prefer to remain anonymous.

  • Bonus if your piece has a title but it's not absolutely necessary.

  • Length: no more than, say, 10 pages. No shorter than, say, 1 page. But we're flexible on this.
More details on the panel's selection criteria:
Raw emotion should pour out of the story. What details could you add that you would be embarrassed to share with your family, friends, the public? Writing that makes you cringe and say, "wow, that was TMI and really hard to get out but it's the truth, it's what was happening to me inside." You can tell if you're going in the right direction if you would be embarrassed to share the details pouring out. Diary stuff. And one of the reasons anonymity or refuge under a pen name is offered.

cartoon from Jason Love

I'll be traveling this week so see you as soon as I get back online!

9 comments:

Soda and Candy said...

Ooh! I'm excited. I'll definitely give it a try, but I can't promise I'll write anything worth submitting.

; )

spleeness said...

First off, I've never read a BAD love story.

Even if it doesn't get accepted by the panel, it's still worth a try.

I have seen so many amazing bloggers out there that aren't published authors yet sweep me off my feet with their creativity and talent. I know there are lots of great writers out there - that's why I'm appealing to bloggers!

Some people also feel there's a certain amount of healing or calm processing that happens when you put your experience to paper.

So yes, if you feel like it, submit your story!

I'm sending support & good vibes to all who are even remotely thinking about entering. :) Don't be intimidated and don't worry that your work won't be good enough. We're all friends here. I hope this is a supportive enough atmosphere where you can feel free to let your thoughts flow.

Some published authors recommend getting feedback from friends or a trusted source before declaring your work complete. Do not be afraid to pen out a raw story. Rewriting & polishing can come after you get it all down on paper.

melissa said...

you're such an encouragement, h. i think if i read this comment of yours enough, i might submit five or six hundred essays.
;-)

xoxo,
m

Niffer said...

I'm with Melissa - if I submit lots of stories, I'm bound to increase my chances of winning, right? Do they have to be true stories? What if I claimed that movies like "Sleepless in Seattle" were written about me? =)

spleeness said...

haha, go for it!! I'm pasting some more details from the panel here, so it'll help you get an idea of the selection criteria:

...

Raw emotion should pour out of the story. What details could you add that you would be embarrassed to share with your family, friends, the public? Writing that makes you cringe and say, "wow, that was TMI and really hard to get out but it's the truth, it's what was happening to me inside." You can tell if you're going in the right direction if you would be embarrassed to share the details pouring out. Diary stuff. And one of the reasons anonymity or refuge under a pen name is offered.

geekhiker said...

What if I have no love stories, just tales of being stood-up? LOL

Shera Sexton-Plath-Wilde said...

Ummm...yeahhhh...I've got quite a few stories for 'ya...most of them will have to be posted anonymously, though, to protect (I was going to say those still living, but THAT doesn't sound good), well, to protect someone's privacy in one story...to protect someone's immigration status in another...and to protect my innocent, shy, demure demeanor in a couple of XXX rated episodes. *Demure...snort! Innocent, my ass!*

LiLu said...

Look at you, getting all fancy. I should probably give this a try... ;-)

LiLu said...

Oh sweet, I can't wait to read some of these!!!

Have fun traveling, love :-)

Recent Posts