Friday, August 28, 2009

"I hate camp!" letter from 6 yr old

I just found this old letter from sleepaway camp when I was a counselor. Kids didn't always love it when they were dropped off, as you can tell from this little girl's note:
Dear Mom, I hate this camp. I hate the showers, the food, the beds, the people, the bugs, the cabin. And I don't have enough clothes. If you signed me up for horseback riding for Monday 7/20/92, I need more pants and shorts shirts send them. I don't want to stay. PICK ME UP. I'm not eating till you pick me up. I almost through up allready from not eating I'm not taking a shower nether till when you or Dad or sombody picks me up. I'll be dirty you don't care anyway. I HATE THIS CAMP. PICK ME UP. Pamela Lynn.

I'm happy to say she did end up staying and actually enjoying the camp - most kids adjust once we showed them a good time!

10 comments:

LiLu said...

Awwww. My mother was so scared I was going to get homesick. Really, SHE was the one missing ME- I had a blast!

cfoxes said...

LOL. I was a counsellor for many years and ran in to this all the time. The best though is my son won't use any toilet paper but Charmin. He didn't poop for 4 days once because he hated the toilet paper at camp so much! I know that should be a TMI, huh?

Kelly O said...

That is hilarious and sad at the same time.

deva said...

Wow. that's all I have to say about that letter.

and ditto Kelly O's comment.

Soda and Candy said...

"I'll be dirty you don't care anyway... PICK ME UP!"

Awesome and adorable.

Anonymous said...

How do you have that letter? ;-)

spleeness said...

I was the one who asked the little girl to write it when she was inconsolable. This sometimes helped kids feel more connected to home. She never sent it (I believe she changed her mind) but I couldn't bear to throw it out. If I ever find her today, I will gladly give it to her!

Anonymous said...

You truly are a thoughtful and sensitive person!
From the same Anonymous.

spleeness said...

@anonymous: you are so sweet! Thanks for the smiles. :)

geekhiker said...

Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah, Here I Am At, Camp Granada...

Recent Posts