Friday, May 14, 2010

maybe we all just had the worst day

This morning I was standing in line to buy coffee, which I hate but I needed something bitter and caffeinated to pour bitterly into my bitter and exhausted self, wearing what I think is my "don't talk to me or I will CUT you" face, but is in actuality a "holy COW she has bags" face, when I overheard the cashier saying she didn't feel good.

But there she is, every morning, smiling at everyone, her greeting filled with warmth, asking genuinely how each of us is doing.

And I thought of lyrics in the Ani DiFranco song Be Nice:
maybe you don't like your job
maybe you didn't get enough sleep
well, nobody likes their job
nobody got enough sleep
maybe you just had
the worst day of your life
but, you know, there's no escape
and there's no excuse
so just suck up and be nice
And I thought, if she can smile, so can I.

6 comments:

BigSis said...

Such a good point. And, so hard to remember on a daily basis. Especially because I hate my job and didn't get enough sleep last night :)

Niffer said...

Thanks for the reminder. I also didn't get enough sleep and am just bored with my job. Tomorrow I plan on refusing to go to my job and trying to sleep in. It's Saturday! Can I wait to smile then?

mirellamccracken said...

It is so funny my favorite cashier Shirly at Giant was also in a bad mood this morning. She was fighting with her boss...not that you care about her or anything....LOL LOL
Just want to tell you that LOLOLOL we couldn't have our usual Friday morning chit chat.

I miss you Holly!!! hope everything is fine with you!!

geekhiker said...

But I always wonder, is it better that everyone walks around with a smile on their face that they may not really feel? Hmmmmmmm...

On the other hand, seeing someone smile can brighten someone's day, sooooooo...

I'll have to ponder this one. :)

hebba said...

so true!

Suburban Sweetheart said...

Love this. Truth!

Recent Posts