Monday, June 14, 2010

What jobs did you hate?

I was driving to an appointment recently when I heard severe thunderstorms were on the way. I glanced up at the sky to see the clouds roiling and snapped both these pix (taken within seconds of eachother -- see how different the clouds look?).

When the sky darkens, my spleen wants nothing more then to curl up with a good book and a cuppa tea and revel in nature's symphony.

However, shortly after the tornado watch was announced, I raced home wondering what was I supposed to do if I encountered an actual twister while driving: leave the car and dive into a ditch, or stay in the car? Which is it? (I'm pretty sure the standing advice is, you're screwed, with a hearty BWAHAHAHA from the universe.)
Anyone *like* the idea of being a storm chaser? (I mean, the idea is fascinating but how do you tamp down that survival lobe, the most significant part of the brain that's been tweaked and honed since the dawn of man? The one that says "HOLY &*%$#, that is a swirling tower of death and dismembered kittens and OHGHD it's heading THIS. WAY." Because I'm pretty sure I'd want out of the job at that point.)

Still, storm chaser sounds exotic enough. But what would be your most dreaded job? What task would you avoid no matter HOW much money? Or, what would be so boring that you'd rather be unemployed?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find myself drawn to clouds like that...it's left over from the old gliding days...clouds like that mean lift. eye of beholder i guess.
worst job? workin fer jesusfreaks. if jesus was exposed to these people I worked for he'd pull a money changer wupin.
Seamus

Camille said...

I could never be the one who gives the animals the gas at vet offices or the pound. It would absolutely break my heart and I'd probably end up adopting so many animals I'd have to buy a second house for them!!

I'd love to chase a storm...just once to say I've done it but not as a full time profession. Too dangerous!!!

Michael Berman said...

The second photo... the cloud on the right... it HAS A FACE! Look, can't you see it? Awesome!

Reed said...

I'm such a whore, I can't think of a job I wouldn't do, maybe something with a description that includes "Bodily Function" and "Accident Cleanup" in the same sentence.

Storm Chaser would be an awesome job, if you ever caught the Tornado you'd be transported to a world of Ruby Slippers, little people, a field full of drugs and an Emerald Palace. I'd give you references, but all the people who have done it loved it so much, they didn't come back, except for that Dorothy bitch.

lacochran said...

Septic tank fixer.

lacochran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mirellamccracken said...

I was so moved by your post today Holly...
Knowing the storm that you are trying to calm down in your life those days....
about jobs... I have been unemployed for two years now and any job will make me happy lol lol lol
Love you baby girl!
Mirella

.curto said...

I could do stormchaser, especially if they'd let me drive!

My 'can't do it' job?

Firefighter. Burning to death scares me more than spiders.

I honor (almost to the point of worship) those men and women who are willing to run INTO a burning building.

geekhiker said...

Hmmmm... I'm usually the type that will try just about anything, at least once. That said, there's a number of jobs on "Dirty Jobs" I could do without, but outside of those exotic positions, I have to say that driving through the Sacramento/San Juaquin Valley in 110 degree heat in the middle of summer and seeing the field workers out there? Yeah, that's one I would rather avoid...

sucktackular said...

You couldn't pay me to ever work at Best Buy again. Worst job in the world.

Gwen Hernandez said...

Beautiful cloud photos! I get bored when there's no challenge, which is the main reason I've quit most of my jobs. That and evil bosses who wanted to squeeze 60 hours a week out of me while on salary.

I have a harder time thinking of jobs I'd enjoy than those I'd hate. ;-)

Anyway, if you're near a tornado, get out of the car and find a low-lying area. Lived in OK for three years, and luckily never had to follow that advice, but spent plenty of time under a mattress in the hallway with two wiggly babies.

Good luck!

LiLu said...

Telemarketing would be my very own personal kind of hell.

*shudders*

Recent Posts